About your surgery
Some patients may be required to undergo pre-testing prior to their surgery. If this is true in your case, our staff will notify you and assist in any necessary arrangements. All testing must be completed within 7ó14 days prior to your surgery.
Preparation for Surgery
Food & Liquids
- Drink plenty of water the day before surgery.
Adults: DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight on the evening before your surgery.
Children under the age of 12 may have clear liquids up to three (3) hours before surgery (e.g., Pedialyte, apple juice or water)
- DO NOT eat candy or mints, chew gum, or use tobacco or snuff the morning of surgery. You should brush your teeth and spit out the water. If you make a mistake and eat or drink, it is important that you let us know. For your safety, your surgery may need to be rescheduled.
- You may take medications with a sip of water.
- Please discontinue taking any blood-thinner meds (e.g., Plavix, aspirin) seven (7) days prior to surgery. If you have a question regarding any of your medications, please call your physician or the Buffalo Surgery Center for clarification.
Clothing, Jewelry & Bathing
- DO bathe before coming to the BSC, but DO NOT wear deodorant if you are having an upper-extremity procedure. Also, DO NOT wear makeup, nail polish, perfume, or any type of oils.
- Please remove jewelry (including your wedding band) before coming for surgery. Leave your jewelry, purse or other valuables at home.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing without metal. Make sure you wear something loose enough so that you can pull your clothes on over the bandages.
- You may also want to bring several pillows and leave them in your vehicle to make your ride home more comfortable.
- Let us know if you wear contact lenses, hearing aids, false teeth or other such things so that we may better care for you and them during surgery. Bring appropriate storage containers and solutions for contact lenses.
Insurance Information and Payment
- On the day of surgery please bring your insurance card(s) and co-payment. If you are not covered by insurance, please contact our patient services representative prior to scheduling your surgery to make payment arrangements.
If you develop a cold, fever, stomach ache, diarrhea or any other illness, notify your doctor right away. Again, for your safety, your surgery may be rescheduled.
Arrival at Surgery Center
- The Centerís Nursing Staff will call you the day before your surgery (or on Friday, if surgery is scheduled for Monday) to give you a time for arrival to BSC the day of your surgery. If you have not heard from the Center by 3:00 p.m. the day before your surgery, please call us at 716-250-6520.
- Your surgery time may change. Occasionally, a surgery takes more or less time than we expected. Therefore, it is possible your surgery may start earlier or later in the day than the time you are scheduled. If there is a change in schedule, our staff will call to advise you.
- On the day of surgery, park in the front parking lot of the Excelsior Campus and enter through the Buffalo Surgery Center entrance on the East Side of the inner circle (on the fountain side).